Often people’s advice when you’re depressed is like supremely unhelpful. Eat chocolate? Really? Do you think that’s going to treat my suicidal ideation? Really? Give me a reason to live?
But one consistent piece of advice from loved ones and lists on the internet is, although annoying to hear while on Rock Bottom™, pretty healing and good. This piece of advice is making a list of things for which you are grateful.
It’s super cheesy but these thoughts certainly can’t hurt me more than what my other thoughts have already done.
What you’re seeing right now is a blog post, but this is actually the second version. I made this post and it contained a great list of things I’m grateful for and then it got deleted because I accidentally refreshed the page. 😦
I think it’s the universe’s way of making me make this list and truly check it twice. I must REALLY need to be grateful.
THINGS FOR WHICH I AM GRATEFUL 2.0:
- Silicone spatulas
- My new discovery and love for cooking? (talk about plot twist… but more on this later in a different post)
- Coffee and coffee creamer
- Music that makes me jam
- My parents’ dog
- I have p good follow-through on writing projects and stuff
- Friends who call me out of the blue and leave a very long and delightful voicemail
- All the friends who’ve texted me to check in in the last two days
- My girlfriend, who experiences her boyfriend’s depression almost just as much as he does, and yet she sticks around and says beautiful things like “I want a future with you.”
- Graham cracker pie crust
- Key lime pie (probably one of the most underrated desserts ever)
- My birthday is next week
- Google calendar
- The word “bosom” (say it. let it savor on your tongue.)
- The TM emoji
- The fact that I have three physical chapbooks I made myself and they are not the worst thing ever
- Each and every one of my lil beard hairs
- When my gf wears dangly earrings bc she knows I like them
- The feeling of showering after not having showered for a couple days
- Brand new socks
- Warm towels
- How unique and independent the word “orange” is. Nothing rhymes with it but “door hinge” and it’s a stretch.
- Egg sandwiches. I have one every day for breakfast except on weekends when I have
- Biscuits and gravy
- Mangos. Seriously, what did we do to deserve mangos?
- All of my bow ties, but especially the knit black one and the one with dogs
- One of my friends wants to get one of my poems as a tattoo, which is terrifying but also very nice
- Bowling a turkey in the 10th frame
- Supportive writing feedback
- My truck ❤
- Winning that chess tournament in fourth grade
- When there isn’t a spider in the room 🙂